Monday, December 19, 2011

TATHAGATA by Henry Rappaport

CJH
                                                                                                                                                         

TATHAGATA

The book I’m reading tells me not to read it.
That’s really what it’s about –
Not reading it. It’s not a pleasure read.
It’s not about walking away
From walking away either. It’s about
Being a thus goer. (I know. I know.
Some people will wonder what
That means. Others will roll their eyes
Because they have been or are going
Down that road.) Impossible to explain.
But the ineffable is all this book is about.
I used to know ineffable. I used to
Lie in a cabin in the gloom of Syracuse
Winter warm by a woodstove hearing
Ineffable sing. What did I know?
Forty-five years later the same singing
I hear once in awhile in circumstances
Unexpected: on Glee, from a sax on the Via
Fori Imperiali in Rome. Never almost
On command. This book is about
The eight roads to nowhere. Crazy map
From wherever here is to where it’s not.
I read a line at a time before bed.
Many nights the same line again and again.
I’m pretty sure I won’t understand
Or want to change, but you never know.
Maybe in sleep I’ll dream thus going
And maybe it will feel so damn fine
I’ll keep going when it’s wake up time.
                           -Henry Rappaport, Canadian Poet 

No comments: